Become a CISV Vancouver Leader
- Are you over 21 yrs old and looking for something AMAZING to get involved with?
- Do you love working with youth?
- Are you inspired to help promote global change?
If yes! CISV might be for you!
Every year, over 6,000 children from around the world go to CISV camp and family-exchange programmes to have the time of their lives. That’s where you come in!
As a CISV leader, you will help children try new things, make new friends, learn new skills, eat new foods, and even travel. It’s non-stop, challenging, and no two days will be the same! But you’ll have an experience you will never forget – an experience that will shape the rest of your life.
Founded in 1951, CISV is an international organization devoted to educating and inspiring youth to take action for a more just and peaceful world. As a VOLUNTEER leader, you can get involved in our local activities and/or travel with a delegation of youth (ages 11 to 15) to an international camp-style program. Meet people from around the world, facilitate meaningful discussions, and act as a role model for youth.
For more information, visit: https://cisv.org/leaders/, then – when you’re ready to apply for a position – follow the steps below.
There is no minimum number of hours to commit. We are always looking for leaders to assist with monthly activities and weekend-long local camps. Getting involved year-round is a perfect way to get introduced to CISV, build up your leadership resume, learn new skills, and have fun! Everyone 19+ is welcome to join us as a local leader!
We are currently recruiting up to 5 positions for volunteer adult leaders to travel with delegations of youth to international camp-style programs this JULY 2020. Leaders must a minimum of 21 years old – but there is no maximum age! You must be available for the full program dates (3 to 4 weeks) and approximately 30 hours per month during the spring for training and preparations.
Want to learn more?
Watch these great YouTube videos!
Follow these steps to apply!
If you feel joy and enthusiasm in working with and for children, then we offer you an experience that will shape you all your life. You are part of a CISV program in which children or young people are brought to a life without cultural or national differences. You grow in your responsibility for your delegation. You experience teamwork while planning with the leader’s group. You will find a lot of new friends and have great international and intercultural encounters.
1 – Email Letter of Interest!
- Email a letter of interest to email@example.com as soon as possible! Please explain why you think you’d be a great leader, which age group you’d prefer to work with and why.
2 – Complete Application Form!
- Complete the LEADER APPLICATION FORM and put down the name of 2 references. Submit this application ASAP. The deadline is typically around January 30th.
3 – Get 2 References!
- Send the REFERENCE FORM to those two people and have them complete the form and email it to the Leadership Coordinator, before the end of February.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
duties and responsibilities
- You are accompanying a group of 4-7 children between the ages of 11 and 15 to a up-to-4-week CISV programme
- Depending on the age, you are "mom and dad substitute" or understanding big brother / sister
- You are directing the children to participate in the CISV programme
- You are planning and coordinating activities, games and small demonstrations with the staff and the other leaders.
- Sometimes you prepare scrapbooks with the children and their families
- Sometimes you create a funny and interactive presentation of your home country with your delegation.
- Sometimes you prepare a “cultural activity” with your delegation. This activity links your country to the camp theme.
- You actively participate in compulsory training that will prepare you for your tasks as best as possible.
- You are holding preparatory meetings with the families of the children, facilitate at the PreCamp weekend and take part in preparing the whole family for the summer CISV experience
- During the program you are the sole communication middle person between the camp and the parents of the children.
- All training is provided. You will be well prepared!
- All expenses are paid. Leaders never have any costs for their participation in our programs!
- Fond of children; Enjoy being there for them and working with them
- Strong nerves and the ability to keep calm even in difficult situations
- Good organizational ability
- Good communication skills - with children as well as adults
- Good English skills (at least B2)
- Openness to other cultures, world views, religions, ...
- Do not be afraid of traveling