In order to inspire critical thinking and peaceful actions as well as to put a smile on (y)our face we share ideas and motivate to make a local impact.
What is JB?
Junior Branches come in all shapes and sizes, but all Junior Branches (JBs) share some things in common. The JB Essentials describe what makes a JB:
- All JBs are part of A Global Movement;
- All JBs work towards the JB Goals;
- JBs are Constantly Developing;
- JBs are Self-Governing entities.
The JB Goals describe what JBers hope to achieve by taking part in Junior Branch. In short, what does JB exist to do?
- Building an Inclusive Community
- Developing our Organization
- Advancing Leadership
- Educating By Experience
- Empowering to Reflect and Act
Junior Branch is a global movement and take part in global initiatives; JBs are self governing because they strongly value electing their own leaders; JB advances leadership when JBers take charge of running their own activities; JB gives youth the chance to take action and plan their own events and activities, from arranging activities for younger JBers, creating projects for the local community, or taking part in international movements.
Vancouver-area youth involved in the JB have opportunities to:
- develop an awareness of international affairs, the global environment and their own society
- maintain contact with old friends in the chapter as well as meet new ones
- attend education and fun monthly activities that promote the CISV philosophy
- be elected to the JB executive steering committee
- gain leadership skills
- earn high school community involvement credits
In addition to the monthly planning meetings, the JB organizes a monthly activities. They also organize local mini-camps, including a weekend mini-camp in the fall and in the winter.
At CISV camps, participants learn about peace and related themes through experience, discussion and exchange. Throughout the camp there is a balance of physical activities, arts and crafts, thought-provoking activities and simulations. Participants must be prepared to do some thinking and discussing on a wide variety of topics that span anything from racism to sustainability to communication.
Curious how to get more involved ? To get updates on Junior Branch activities and news, please email JB Vancouver and get on the email list.